Each week we’ll feature one photographer from the PhotoShelter community,…
Last week Allen Murabayashi chatted with Houston-based photographer Robert Seale about the 11 essential tips all photographers must know before going freelance. Robert, an established corporate, advertising and editorial photographer knows a thing or two about running a successful photography business. After 11 years as a staff shooter for Sporting News and additional years of experience shooting for various newspapers, Robert decided to take the plunge and go freelance. Today you’ll find him working with clients such as Sports Illustrated, Men’s Health, ESPN, Rolling Stone, along with Fortune 500 companies, and more.
Watch below as Robert and Allen go in depth about the potential challenges of being a freelancer and how to tackle them head on. During the hour they’ll discuss:
- The steps you must take before going freelance
- Money issues: how to balance your budget, and keep on track
- How to build out a marketing plan
- What gear to invest in and how to know when to rent vs. buy
- The number 1 thing you need to do for your business