Last month at the Photography at the Summit Nature Workshop, I had the opportunity to sit down with the Outdoor Photographer’s Wes Pitts. Pitts received a B.A. in Photography from the University of Santa Cruz, and soon entered the world of photo magazine publishing with Werner Media. Last year, Madavor Media purchased the titles under Werner’s control, and Pitts took over as Editor of Outdoor Photographer, shifting some of the magazine’s focus to conservation-based issues with the help of contributors like Melissa Groo and Michael Forsberg.
In this interview we chat about:
- Why has conservation become so salient for nature/wildlife photographers?
- What are the challenges of publishing a print magazine?
- What concerns do you have about relying on entities like Facebook – which uses an algorithm to drive its newsfeed – to sustain traffic to your content?
- Mark Zuckerberg famously said that most of the stuff in our newsfeed will be video in 5 years. Do photographers and publishers need to be in the video game to succeed?
- How should photographers “pitch” publishers?
- What type of content is Outdoor Photographer looking for?