Many photographers have abandoned neutral documentary photography in favor of advocating for environmental causes that are important to them. And with massive social media followings, photographers like Paul Nicklen, Ami Vitale, Sebastião Salgado, Michael Forsberg, and many others are helping to shine a spotlight on issues big and small, and using photography as a primary storytelling device.
On this Earth Day, we celebrate a few photographers who are advocating for clean water, endangered species, and a healthy planet. It’s Episode 7 of our cool podcast Vision Slightly Blurred.
Interested in learning more about the topic? Here is our show reading list:
- Paul Nicklen on Instagram
- When Photographers Become Pitchmen
- Mustafah Abdulaziz’s 15-year photography project depicts the global water crisis
- Ami Vitale’s Pandas are Everything the World Needs Right Now
- Greg Kahn’s 3 Millimeters
- Grain Images
- Michael Forsberg’s Platte Basin Timelapse
- Conserving the West: An Interview with David Showalter
- Ay Mariposa
- Butterflies vs Border Wall
- Sebastião Salgado’s Genesis
- Netflix’s Our Planet
And you can always view a version of this podcast by following us on Instagram and watching our IGTV channel.