“No one is advocating putting mediocre photographers forward just because they’re diverse,” Tara Pixley told us at a recent interview at Photoville 2019 in Brooklyn. Pixley and Mengwen Cao – two board members of Authority Collective – stopped by to talk about their mission to help support, educate and promote women and non-binary photographers in what has historically been a white male-dominated profession.
In this wide-ranging episode of Vision Slightly Blurred, Sarah and Allen (mostly Allen) learn some of the ridiculous and challenging situations that minorities contend with on a daily basis while simply trying to do their job of taking photos, and why diversity matters when telling a story through mass media.
We mention the following photographers, articles, and websites in this episode:
- Authority Collective
- Tara Pixley (@tlpix)
- Mengwen Cao (@mengwencao) (Allen mispronounced their last name with a hard “c.” It should be pronounced more like an “s” or “ts”).
- Women Photograph (@womenphotograph)
- Oriana Koren (@orianakoren)
- PDN’s 30
- Women of Color Organize for Access and Accountability in Photojournalism
- The Shock of Robert Frank’s “The Americans“
- Why We Need More Visual Journalists and Editors of Color
And you can always view a version of this podcast by following us on Instagram and watching our IGTV channel.