The Information Age helped usher in a culture of intellectual property theft that extends from photos to music – even jokes. Some of the most popular Instagram accounts have built huge followings around stolen content, then leveraged those audiences to launch new products and services.
In this episode of Vision Slightly Blurred, Sarah and Allen take a deep dive into accounts like @fuckjerry, @historycoolkids, @officialseanpenn and more, and discuss the role of curation, theft, and monetization on Instagram – a Facebook-owned content sharing platform that boasts over 1 billion active users per month.
We mention the following photographers, articles, and websites in this episode:
- Fyre Fraud on Hulu
- Comedy Central Stops Advertising With Every Comedian’s Worst Enemy
- Statement from Elliot, founder of Fuckjerry
- History Cool Kids – The New Instagram Account To Make You Weep via elle.com
- DMCA Safe Harbor Explained
- Blurred Lines
- Babe Wine
- Unsplash is (Still) Bad for Photography
And you can always view a version of this podcast by following us on Instagram and watching our IGTV channel.