As with fashion, the camera bag has moved from a purely utilitarian tool to something that expresses your personality, fashion sense, and indecisiveness. The boxy camera bag of the 70s and 80s has been supplanted by sleek backpacks constructed from ballistic nylon, designs that target women, and rolling suitcases for the airborne photographer. No longer the domain of just a few bag manufacturers, the modern camera bag is as likely to be launched on Kickstarter as it is to be found in your local camera store.
In this episode of Vision Slightly Blurred, Sarah and Allen discuss the psychology of photographers and their bags. And they play show-and-tell with the bags they personally use and explain why they continue to use them.
We mention the following photographers, articles, and websites in this episode:
- Holiday Gift Ideas: 10 Reliable Camera Bags For Any Photographer
- Domke F-34L 19″ wrap
- Think Tank Photo Cable Management 10 V2.0 Camera Bag and Case Pouch
- Ona Capri II
- Peak Design
- What is Ballistic Nylon?
- Profoto Core BackPack S
- Vanguard DIVIDER BAG 46 SOFT SIDED CAMERA BAG
- Filson Teams Up With Steve McCurry and David Alan Harvey For New Line Of Camera Bags
- The Camera Pack: Peter McKinnon X NOMATIC
- Pelican Case
And you can always view a version of this podcast by following us on Instagram and watching our IGTV channel.