“The 30” 2022 Edition Highlights New + Emerging Photos to Watch
Although PDN magazine folded in early 2020, its parent company, Emerald, rechristened the list of up-and-coming photographers as “The 30.” This past week, the 2022 edition was released, and as always, the nominating committee and jury did a spectacular job identifying and highlighting some of the industry’s most promising talent.
In this episode of Vision Slightly Blurred, Sarah and Allen talk about some of their favorite photographers, and compare the look-and-feel of the 2012 edition to see what has changed in the past decade.
Also: Satellites and cellphones capture the devastation caused by the undersea volcano in Tonga, writer Caspar Salmon wonders why “hot man in a suit in a pool” is a thing, and Kanye West hires a photographer to document his date with actress Julia Fox.
We mention the following photographers, articles, and websites in this episode:
- New and Emerging Photographers to Watch 2022
- PDN 30: 2012
- Why satellites are key to understanding Pacific volcano (via BBC)
- Simon Proud, a physics research Fellow at Oxford University tweeted a gif of the 3 views that Korea’s GK-2A, Japan’s Himawari 8, and the US’s GOES-17 captured
- Before and After Photos Show ‘Unprecedented’ Disaster of Tonga Volcano Eruption (via Vice)
- Tsunami threat recedes after Tonga volcanic eruption; videos go viral (via India Express)
- Photos: Aftermath of tsunami in Bay Area, West Coast (via Mercury News)
- “Hearing” the Tongan eruption with a barometer in New York (via Craig Neville-Manning)
- Writer Caspar Salmon tweeted “Today I wish to pay tribute to the time-honoured magazine photoshoot “put hot man in a suit in a pool”. The more you think about it the weirder it is?!”
- iStockPhoto’s “businessman in pool“
- Who is Kanye West’s ‘personal’ photographer? Rapper documenting his dates with Julia Fox (via MEAWW)
- Date Night & Fox News (via Interview)